It's the first day of the 2015 cPanel conference, and we're so excited to be exhibiting here in Denver, Colorado! For those unacquainted with this huge industry event, each year, cPanel Conference brings together entrepreneurs, developers, hosting providers and website owners for an immersive three days of workshops, discussions, and hosting exploration. Stay tuned for some of our top takeaways in the coming week!
In the meantime, start thinking about how you're going to pick our brains at the R1Soft booth. This post will get you started by examining how hosting providers can exceed customer expectations with premium backup service. This starts with having the right requirements and objectives. If this is a topic of interest for you and/or you want to learn more about our involvement at the cPanel conference, keep reading!
Providing Premium Backup Service:
Our own Ben Thomas, Product Director of R1Soft, recently held a webinar in which he asked the question, What Does Your Backup Service Look Like? The full webinar is available for download below and covers:
- A brief review of backup services in the hosting industry
- Common customer expectations for backup services
- The distinguishing features of a “premium” backup service
- The business considerations framing your design of a premium backup service
- Some of the technical considerations for your backup service
- What you can reasonably expect customers to pay for “premium backups services”
We can't dive into each of these agenda items, but we'll provide a high-level overview of how you can take your backup service to the next level. For a further explanation, definitely check out the webinar, and pay our booth representatives a visit if you're attending the cPanel conference.
7 Key Hosting Provider Backup Requirements:
- MySQL Database backup and restore
- Incremental backups
- Flexible restore of files and directories
- Self-service Restores
- Low resource usage on protected servers
- Low total cost of ownership (TCO) - know and manage your indirect and direct costs!
5 Unshakable Hosting Provider Backup Objectives:
- The backup software must support and be able to successfully execute within the defined recovery point objectives (RPOs).
- The entire system must be able to meet your defined recovery time objectives (RTOs).
- The system will need to scale to match the growth of your business.
- The software and infrastructure have to be within budget.
- Capital and operational expenditure must fit your service price point.
There you have it! While requirements and objectives are just one piece of the backup puzzle and may even seem like no-brainers, there's never any harm in reaffirming what you must deliver customers and how to do this efficiently. Hopefully, these lists give you a baseline. Again, for more on this topic, download our webinar or leave a question below.
Come Say Hi to R1Soft and Softlayer at cPanel!
All of us here at R1Soft can't wait to talk to conference attendees during these next couple of days! We'll be manning the booth tomorrow and Wednesday from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM - come stop by Booth #27!
Raise the Stakes with Us at Casino Night
We hope you're all in for cPanel's Casino Night tonight. Along with an evening of Blackjack, Texas Hold’em, dancing, and acts of wonder from a live magician, compete to win one of six R1Soft-branded poker sets we'll be giving away!
Win a Drone Helicopter by Playing SoftLayer's Server Challenge Game
Back by popular demand, Softlayer's Server Challenge is sure to engage your competitive spirits. This year they'll be giving away drone helicopters to those all-stars who race the clock and their peers to assemble a server rack in the fastest amount of time. Whether you're still sore about losing the game last year or want to beat the 1:00.05 benchmark, you should definitely participate! We'll be joining in on the fun with Softlayer, a key strategic partner in the backup technology behind R1Soft's Server Backup Manager.
Thank you again to cPanel for inviting us to sponsor the tenth anniversary of their conference. Be sure to check back on the R1Blog for event takeaways and follow @R1Soft on Twitter for live updates!
Watch the backup webinar discussed above!