"This Week in Data" is a weekly infographic that aims to serve as a quick and easy way for our readers to catch up on the latest news about the people and organizations that are shaking up the world of big data, cloud computing, and all things data storage.
This week the FBI vs. Apple case continued to set precedents, Big Data got a new open-source project, and a ransomware attack forced an LA hospital to pay up.
Ready to learn more? See the rest of the headlines in this week's infographic and click on the links at the bottom of the page to get the the details on each of our five stories from the week.
FBI vs. Apple
- In legal showdown, FBI vs. Apple could make or break Silicon Valley
- White House: FBI is not asking Apple for a 'backdoor' to the iPhone
IBM's Watson Health
- IBM acquires Truven Health Analytics for $2.6 billion to bulk up Watson Health
- IBM gets 215 million patient profiles in $2.6 billion analytics firm buy
Apache Arrow Project
- Big data gets a new open-source project: Apache Arrow
- Apache Arrow unifies in-memory Big Data systems
Hospital Ransomware Attack
- Hospital pays hackers $17,000 in Bitcoins to return computer network
- Hospital pays $17,000 ransom to get access back to its encrypted files
Microsoft Premium Outlook.com
- Microsoft testing new outlook.com Premium email service
- What you need to know about outlook.com as Microsoft brings it out of preview